Re: Drupal as candidate to be challenged

En/na Sebastian Rittau ha escrit:

>>>     /en/214-releasenotes
(...)
>   /214-releasenotes.en

The difference has an aesthetic and a technical component. Let's see...

> For example, if you specify the URL
>
>   http://www.gnome.org/214-releasenotes
>
> the person that opens this URL will get the page in his or her default
> language (using content negotiation).

Drupal offers the same behaviour.

> If you want to enforce a
> particular language, just append the language suffix:
>
>   http://www.gnome.org/214-releasenotes.de

Instead, you should insert http://www.gnome.org/de/214-releasenotes -
which is not that different.

> The URLs now have a purely semantical meaning, while the non-semantical
> parts (like the language) are optional.

>From a technical perspective, yes and no. Yes if all the pages show the
same functionality and content, only in different languages (as happens
in debian.org). No if some pages will show actually a different
functionality in different languages.

For instance, the pages of a French forum won't be the same as the pages
of a German forum, and perhaps in another language there won't be a
forum at all. Following your example, a Spanish forum page could have a
URL like

/node/41812.es

Semantically this would imply that I could get

/node/41812 as an equivaent in the default locale and

/node/41812.it as an Italian equivalent

which is not true.

Instead

/es/node/41812 says that the Spanish website has this page - nothing else.

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org