Re: Drupal as candidate to be challenged

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 02:02:45AM +0100, Quim Gil wrote:
> En/na Claus Schwarm ha escrit:
>
> >  * Why do the links look so strange? For instance,
> >
> >       /index.php?q=en/214-releasenotes
> >
> >    I believe this should be
> >
> >      /en/214-releasenotes
> >
> >    in the final version, right?
>
> Yes. Clean URLs are obtained with ModRewrite support (see f.i.
> http://guadectest.ourproject.org/ ). We will request it to the GNOME
> sysadmins once we set up the real site in window server.

I would rather recommend to use URLs in the form

  /214-releasenotes.en

where the .en suffix is optional. This has the advantage that the URLs
are equal for each language and you can avoid specifying the language in
the URL. For example, if you specify the URL

  http://www.gnome.org/214-releasenotes

the person that opens this URL will get the page in his or her default
language (using content negotiation). If you want to enforce a
particular language, just append the language suffix:

  http://www.gnome.org/214-releasenotes.de

The URLs now have a purely semantical meaning, while the non-semantical
parts (like the language) are optional.

This is how the Debian pages work, for example (http://www.debian.org/).

 - Sebastian