Re: CivicSpace site to test

Thanks for your feedback, Shaun.

En/na Shaun McCance ha escrit:

> First, I love having a unified global header bar with the
> same structure on every page of every one of our sites.

This is something practically signed off in our list. We just need to
polish some details. See
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb#head-1590d15bee789a304a3d13c20b290536981cdf55

> A second-level header could be employed when appropriate.

We will need it a lot, I think, since many "subsites" could be whole
websites by their own - and in fact are.

> Live.gnome.org seems to me to be where we put pages to be
> abused and never found.  I know there's a strong drive to
> push all the developer content onto live, but I really
> think that's a mistake.  Developer content should live
> within the site hierarchy like everything else.  With a
> suitably good CMS, we'll still have the ability to edit
> easily, and we won't have to break global navigation.

Well, since you mention this... I think the wiki is a good sandbox but
the consolidated content would live much better within the site
hierarchy, offering a stable look&feel to the users. I think most people
involved in documentation tasks would enjoy the Drupal "books" feature
over the wiki to publish the finished materials, and then update them
there instead of the sandy wiki.

More:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-web-list/2005-November/msg00010.html

> I don't know why, but that gradient-happy header you've
> got rubs me in a very non-Gnome way.  Get Andreas to
> make something really pretty.  Andreas rules.

No look and feel here, just a preinstalled theme. Andreas is already
admin of this dummy site in order to play as much as he wants. All you
are invited as well.

But look at the secret plan: http://beta.guadec.org/?q=contest

> Dual side-bars are evil.

I agree we shouldn't use sidebars when they are not needed.

The web creatives still need to find proper solutions to the problem
that represents that while A4 and printed paper in general is vertical,
screens are generally horizontal. We keep producing vertical pages with
manual scroll down while wasting 40% of our available screen. Sidebars
are not the solution for this of course. Or... could they? Perhaps
making them wider so they are not "side bars" anymore but neat spaces
for more readable content. Let's see what the GUADEC contenders bring up.

> I don't think it's necessary to have a full navigation
> tree on every site.

Agreed.

> Is a printer-friendly link really necessary?

No. Again, it comes out of the box and deactivate it is just one click.
The winning GUADEC theme should be clever with CSS, indeed.

These days without mailing list I have been thinking quite a lot about
the "to CMS or not to CMS" debate (and the solution to the localisation).

There are lots of advantages of a CMS like Drupal with the cache
functionality activated (for the server performance) that a
CVS/staticHTML solution can't offer. The main one is that a CMS allows
the communication & marketing people take the control over
www.gnome.org, our main tool of communication and marketing.

Commiting and hardcoding we scare the core group of possible
contributors (average web developers and people from the media/creative
industries) and we spend non-recyclable energies of eventual committers
and hardcoders that would be happier coding and sysadming. To me this
unsustainability is much more risky to the GNOME project than having a
popular and well maintained PHP based CMS in a web server.

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org