Re: Website repository and SVN

On 6 Dec 2005, at 5:51 am, James Henstridge wrote:

Thomas Wood wrote:

Some of the websites (mail.gnome.org for example) are currently in a
separate cvs repository from the main gnome cvs. I think this is a good
idea, and we should move all the websites into a 'website' repository.
This would help keep non-application stuff out of the main gnome
repository, and also help people to locate and contribute to the websites.

Why exactly is it a good idea to separate them into a CVS root?  It
doesn't affect performance of checkouts (and still wouldn't with the SVN
repository layout Ross has suggested, where each module gets it's own
SVN repository).

On the downside, it doesn't get mirrored to the anonymous CVS
repositories, and isn't included on the viewcvs page.  I realise these
problems could be fixed, but they wouldn't have been an issue if those
websites had remained under the main CVS root.

I didn't really propose it as a performance issue, but simply as a organisational issue. It just seems logical to me to have the repositories separated into groups. The websites are not related (technically) to the software, so why mix them together?

It is purely subjective, but I think from an administrative point of view it would make the repositories cleaner and more manageable. Either way, we ought to make a decision, since the current situation is that we have both of these scenarios implemented. Personally, I would prefer the websites are kept seperated from the software repositories.

-Thomas