Re: Fixing pango.org

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 13:40 -0400, Tom von Schwerdtner wrote:

> Some of that was done the next day, an updated screenshot is here:
> http://tvon.etria.com/images/mango-2.png/image_view_fullscreen
> it is still in a half-done state in terms of wiki cleanup though.
> Using this as a reference point I'd say that:
>
> - The 'User' menu should be somewhere else

I think all we need is "Login" or "User Preferences", by the search
entry like in the modern theme seems fine for that to me.

> - The main navigation should be the main navigation and not wiki-related links.
> - The little images in the bottom right should go but the same
> functionality should be provided through text links somewhere

Are the little images really useful to someone coming to the page to
find out some information about Pango? I think most of them are
available elsewhere anyways. (As much as I can figure out what the
little images do)

> - the edit link should be a little easier to find

I think it's OK if the editing aparatus is reasonably intrusive once
you are logged in. But it also should be separate from the non-logged-in
content of the page. That's why I suggested that having the modern
theme's footer (or something to that effect) there when you are
logged in and not when you aren't logged in.

> - The traditional FrontPage should probably be changed to Introduction
> (not sure how to do that)

Just create a page called Introduction, then change wikiconfig.py to
go there instead of FrontPage (page_front_page = u'Introduction') ...
did that this morning on wiki.pango.org.

> I'm going to toy with something from scratch a bit over the next week
> (as time permits) and see if anything comes out of it, otherwise maybe
> Gora has some design talent to spare :)
>
> Gora, if you don't want to mess with Moin (or python), I could try
> coming up with a vanilla theme better suited for CSS-ificiation than
> the default (eg, more logical structure, more classes/id's, etc...).

Sounds like good stuff. Thanks a lot for working on this,

					Owen