Re: Fixing pango.org

On 8/18/05, James Henstridge <james jamesh id au> wrote:
> Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > - Must not be ugly. Pango is a project about typography. The site
> >   needs to be clean and uncluttered.
> >
> >     http://cairographics.org/introduction
> >
> >   Is almost OK, though it still has more "Moin" clutter than I'd like,
> >   especially the big footer.
> >
> >     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/
> >
> >   While better in many ways than the cairographics.org site (Moin-1.3
> >   rather than Moin-1.2) is worse in the "ugly" category because of
> >   the big intrusive sidebar which is about being a Wiki rather than
> >   about the site.
> >

> By the look of it, the fedora wiki is just using the standard "sidebar"
> theme distributed with moin-1.3, but with a different colour scheme.
>
> One option would be something like the Ubuntu wiki:
>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/
>
> This is basically the moin-1.3 "modern" theme with the tabs removed.  So
> the only wiki related stuff is:
>
>     * the search and login controls in the top right corner
>     * a single strip below the header with the various wiki links.
>     * one line in the footer giving the last modified date.

IMO the Ubuntu wiki still looks a lot like a wiki, but it is a lot
less cluttered than some others.

I started playing around with a moin 1.3 theme (titled 'mango') when I
saw Owens mail (though most of the time was spent trying to figure out
how to use/setup/theme moin):

At the moment I have the general look of the site straightend out in
my head and I'm working on removing anything that screams "I'm a
wiki!" (by either actually removing it or just hiding it a little).

Here is a random screenshot of a random page to give you an idea of the style:

http://tvon.etria.com/images/mango.png/image_view_fullscreen

I'm working on my laptop so there is unfortunately nothing live to see
but there is a fair amount of cleanup to do before I'd want anyone to
actually interact with it anyways ;).\

Comments welcome.

Regards,
Tom