Re: Fixing pango.org

I've set up MoinMoin-1.3.5 on the GNOME web server and done some
initial configuration:

 http://wiki.pango.org/

Right now I'm keeping the wiki faith and allowing any logged in user
to edit it, so if people want to start migrating content from
www.pango.org, have at it!

When it is better than www.pango.org, I'll repoint that.

Eventually, I think we'll want to #acl protect at least the front
page; there are some reasonably clever wiki-spam-bots out there.

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 03:10 -0400, Tom von Schwerdtner wrote:

> > One option would be something like the Ubuntu wiki:
> >     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/
> >
> > This is basically the moin-1.3 "modern" theme with the tabs removed.  So
> > the only wiki related stuff is:
> >
> >     * the search and login controls in the top right corner
> >     * a single strip below the header with the various wiki links.
> >     * one line in the footer giving the last modified date.
>
> IMO the Ubuntu wiki still looks a lot like a wiki, but it is a lot
> less cluttered than some others.
>
> I started playing around with a moin 1.3 theme (titled 'mango') when I
> saw Owens mail (though most of the time was spent trying to figure out
> how to use/setup/theme moin):
>
> At the moment I have the general look of the site straightend out in
> my head and I'm working on removing anything that screams "I'm a
> wiki!" (by either actually removing it or just hiding it a little).
>
> Here is a random screenshot of a random page to give you an idea of the style:
>
> http://tvon.etria.com/images/mango.png/image_view_fullscreen

Hmmm. Interesting. I like the moving of the site navigation to the
side; but the left sidebar is a little big and cluttered.

Going from the "Clean" theme - what is on wiki.pango.org now, I think
the changes I'd like to see are:

 - Move site navigation (what is currently 4 tabs at the top) to
   the side - probably to the left.
 - Remove the top Wiki actions line ([Show Changes, Get Info, Subscribe]
 - When the user isn't logged in, remove the bottom Wiki actions line
   as well.
 - Remove the MoinMoin/Python/HTML stuff at the bottom; sure, great
   technology, but irrelevant to a visitor.
   (I'm happy to have http://pango.org/Colophon/...)
 - Get rid of the little pictures by HTML links (should be a user pref
   so we could swap the default, but the user pref doesn't seem to
   work for me)

Regards,
						Owen