Re: Missing "Art & Themes" link in gnome.org home

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 10:58 -0400, Curtis Hovey wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 12:15 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:

> > > I'd like to do this--one set of top level links for all sites.  I don't
> > > think the matter is as simple as list popular hosts.  I think we need
> > > review who our users are, and what their needs are.  Do users care
> > > about
> > > our domains?  Do they consider art + themes + downloads the same thing?
> > > Are their expectations met when they go to a domain?
> >
> > I don't think users would look for art/themes under downloads, as
> > downloads usually means downloading of software. Also the art site is
> > totally separate from the download information for GNOME.
>
> Maybe not.  The question I am asking is, do users see art and software
> are separate things since they must browser, download, and install them.
> Theme engines are software.  Would users prefer one site?  I don't have
> an opinion, and I don't think art.gnome.org and software.gnome.org are
> the same thing.

Interesting point raised about theme engines. They definitely are
software (since you have to configure, make, install), so perhaps should
go on a software site. I think perhaps what you where asking is about
where people get downloads. Art.gnome.org actually uses ftp.gnome.org
for it's repository anyway, and I presume a software.gnome.org would
too. So as far as a user is concerned, downloads are in fact all located
in the same place (as would make sense), and art.g.o and software.g.o
are just separate interfaces for the different categories (software and
art).

> > > I'm going to begin an effort to organize our use cases.  I aim to get a
> > > good definition of what the gnome site should do for users, and who
> > > those users are.
> >
> > Any progress on this? Do we even have any use cases anywhere?
>
> I posted some use cases last year.
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-web-list/2003-October/msg00048.html
> I have an Evo task reminding me to take that post and start a use case
> collection in the GNOME Webhackers.  I believe there is an older set
> sitting on someone's HD.

So with regards to art and themes, users would go to the website
(www.gnome.org), find a link to the art and themes site, and then go to
the downloads site to get the theme they want. Currently all that is
missing for the user is the ability to find a link to art.gnome.org from
www.gnome.org.

If I get some time, I'll look at the other use cases and see what (if
any) other changes need to happen.

-Thomas