Re: Missing "Art & Themes" link in gnome.org home

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 12:15 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> On 20 Aug 2004, at 5:19 am, Curtis Hovey wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 22:41 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> >> This was a point I was going to raise on the gnome-web-mailing list,
> >> and
> >> so I have CC'd this reply to the list.
> >>
> >> I agree that it would be nice if all the *.gnome.org used the same
> >> links
> >> in the header. Does anyone have any suggestions for a standard list of
> >> links? Perhaps a list of links to all the sub-domains of gnome.org
> >> would
> >> be suitable. This would possibly mean www, developer, art, foundation,
> >> planet, mail and any others I've forgotten.
> >
> > I'd like to do this--one set of top level links for all sites.  I don't
> > think the matter is as simple as list popular hosts.  I think we need
> > review who our users are, and what their needs are.  Do users care
> > about
> > our domains?  Do they consider art + themes + downloads the same thing?
> > Are their expectations met when they go to a domain?
>
> I don't think users would look for art/themes under downloads, as
> downloads usually means downloading of software. Also the art site is
> totally separate from the download information for GNOME.

Maybe not.  The question I am asking is, do users see art and software
are separate things since they must browser, download, and install them.
Theme engines are software.  Would users prefer one site?  I don't have
an opinion, and I don't think art.gnome.org and software.gnome.org are
the same thing.

> > I'm going to begin an effort to organize our use cases.  I aim to get a
> > good definition of what the gnome site should do for users, and who
> > those users are.
>
> Any progress on this? Do we even have any use cases anywhere?

I posted some use cases last year.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-web-list/2003-October/msg00048.html
I have an Evo task reminding me to take that post and start a use case
collection in the GNOME Webhackers.  I believe there is an older set
sitting on someone's HD.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.