Re: Need to publish files on www.gnome.org/learn

Hi Curtis,

Curtis Hovey wrote:
On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 12:41 +0100, Irene Ryan wrote:

Hi Curtis,

Thank you very much for helping me with this. Sorry for taking so long
to get back to you but I've been a bit swamped with other stuff all
week. I'm attaching the PDF version of the document to this message.
I'll send you the HTML versions separately as two zipped tarballs. I'm
afraid I don't know how to create a "package". We tech. writer folks
tend to leave that kind of thing to the engineers :)

I've installed the PDF.  I made and installed the online and
downloadable HTML.  We have a script on the site that can generate the
HTML and package it from the XML source in gnome-user-docs.  I hope to
add PDF generation to the script so we can make all the documentation
quickly without the need to coordinate a lot of people.

You can see your work at
http://www.gnome.org/learn/
Thanks very much for doing this. The new scripts are excellent! They save me some work, which I like :)

Now, for another non-engineer question, what is an XSL-FO? I'm not
familiar with this stuff. I'm writing the guide in SGML in Adept,
which I then convert to XML. I generate the PDF version from Adept.

Oh.  My assumptions are wrong.  That explains why the SUN PDFs look
nothing like those I try to generate.  I assumed your team was using a
customization of Norman Walsh's docbook stylesheets to convert the XML
to HTML and PDF.  The stylesheets use a method called XSL-FO to make the
PDFs.  Nevermind then.
We were using Norman Walsh's docbook styles to create the HTML alright but not the PDFs.

-Irene