Re: Need to publish files on www.gnome.org/learn

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 12:41 +0100, Irene Ryan wrote:
> Hi Curtis,
>
> Thank you very much for helping me with this. Sorry for taking so long
> to get back to you but I've been a bit swamped with other stuff all
> week. I'm attaching the PDF version of the document to this message.
> I'll send you the HTML versions separately as two zipped tarballs. I'm
> afraid I don't know how to create a "package". We tech. writer folks
> tend to leave that kind of thing to the engineers :)

I've installed the PDF.  I made and installed the online and
downloadable HTML.  We have a script on the site that can generate the
HTML and package it from the XML source in gnome-user-docs.  I hope to
add PDF generation to the script so we can make all the documentation
quickly without the need to coordinate a lot of people.

You can see your work at
http://www.gnome.org/learn/

> Now, for another non-engineer question, what is an XSL-FO? I'm not
> familiar with this stuff. I'm writing the guide in SGML in Adept,
> which I then convert to XML. I generate the PDF version from Adept.

Oh.  My assumptions are wrong.  That explains why the SUN PDFs look
nothing like those I try to generate.  I assumed your team was using a
customization of Norman Walsh's docbook stylesheets to convert the XML
to HTML and PDF.  The stylesheets use a method called XSL-FO to make the
PDFs.  Nevermind then.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.