Re: Gnome Website Search Demo

<quote who="Michael Henson">

> I've been playing around with Plucene (the perl port of Lucene, which is
> the same indexer that beagle uses). I've set up a little demo.

> I plan to continue working on it and hope to be able to create a general
> searching solution for the gnome web site built on this. Does anyone know
> the feasibility of setting this up should it get good enough for general
> usage?

Hey there,

We really, really do need a cool indexing/search system for the web site, so
thanks heaps for looking into it!

What are the advantages of using plucene over other indexing tools? We have
namazu installed on the GNOME servers (for use with the mailing lists), and
there have been vague plans to use htdig (despite its warts) on the website
at some stage. Using another tool (not packaged by Red Hat for RHEL3) would
be a maintenance cost -> is a Plucene-based index/search solution worth it?

I've been really impressed by other Lucene ports (the C# one in Beagle and
pylucene) - keen to find out what it can do for our web site! :-) If it does
get good enough for general use, I'll give you a hand to integrate it with
the site and on the servers.

[ I can't see your demo at the moment, though. :-( ]

Thanks,

What's all that about?                           http://www.no-name-yet.com/

             Toothpaste is the most important meal of the day.