Re: apps.gnome proposal

<quote who="Claus Schwarm">

> > The one very strong condition I would place on such a replacement would
> > be that it use an existing codebase to build upon, not a totally new
> > database, site, backend, yada. Sri brought this up recently, too, and I
> > mentioned apps.kde.com as a potential starting point... Sri, have you
> > contacted them about it?
>
> I would also like to re-use as much as possible. Since my starting point
> was art.gnome.org, this is an existing codebase - depending on their
> implementation, it shouldn't be too much work to add ratings, and a
> corrected version of the existing software map database.
>
> So if your answer can be interpeted as a "Yes, do it so", I'll ask them
> politly if they are willing to sent me whatever they find useful for
> re-using.
>
> I just want the page easy to use and running.

I don't think art.gnome.org is the right backend to start from, not only
because it's something we have to maintain from the ground up ourselves.
There is other software out there (such as apps.kde.com) that we should
investigate to do this properly. It will mean less work, less maintenance
and more fun.

   "Well, you know us usability folks... We like to believe that the two
    aren't mutually exclusive." - Calum Benson on power and cleanliness