Re: apps.gnome proposal

<quote who="c. schwarm">

> After some user requests in the GNOME forum, see
> http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5323 and
> http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5432, I made a mockup for a
> possible apps.gnome page.
>
> The mockup is available here: http://clausi.funpic.de/index.html
>
> Please note that it is a first simple-html draft. However, forum feedback
> has been positive so far; also the feedback in the gnome-art IRC channel.
>
> Now I'd like to ask you about your opinion; and if the GNOME project would
> generally agree to host the pages when finished.
>
> If so, I will proceed with working on them, adding scripts and a database,
> adding and updating content and the like. I don't know how long this will
> take, maybe some months. However, it's not necessary to spend time on this
> if the GNOME project rejects the first draft. :)

Hi,

Yes, we do need a replacement for the current Software List.

The one very strong condition I would place on such a replacement would be
that it use an existing codebase to build upon, not a totally new database,
site, backend, yada. Sri brought this up recently, too, and I mentioned
apps.kde.com as a potential starting point... Sri, have you contacted them
about it?

If you guys want to team up to fix this up, that would be awesome.

Thanks,

     GDK (acronym): GNU's Not Unix Image Manipulation Program Tool-Kit
                                Drawing-Kit.