The new web structure - the plan [tm]

Hey,

Okay, I decided to write a mail to get some discussion happening around
the new web structure. I've recently spent a while looking into the
developer.gnome.org mess, and desperately want to devote my spare time
to cleaning it up.

So initially I've been going through the web-devel-2 CVS module trying
to identify the old and decaying pages from the newer ones that actually
contain something useful. This seems to be a pretty slow process but I'm
making some progress.

Anyway, Jeff mentioned that his plan included a library.gnome.org, a
place to store documents [articles, tutorials, user guides, API
references] in a central location, with the thought that
developer.gnome.org could become a shell of a site for the various GNOME
teams and could be merged back into www.gnome.org at a later stage.

While doing this, I'm hoping to unify the build structure between all
the various websites - as it is, the new foundation.gnome.org uses the
same build structure as www.gnome.org, which is going to make things
much easier later on.

So I guess the first thing to do is to come up with some sort of
directory structure for library.gnome.org, particularly since we're
probably going to be storing a lot of documents - the structure ideally
needs to be easily navigable for browsing alone also. Any suggestions?

Basically I figure the priorities should be something like -

	o Come up with directory structure for library.gnome.org
	o Work initially on the current web-devel-2 module, and seperate
          out documentation from more team oriented information
	o Start checking in stuff to library-web and devel-web - we'll
          have a beta site setup to see any changes made
	o Get these online ASAP
	o Work on getting gnomeweb-wml up to speed

I've been working on a repository on widget.gnome.org, so if you're on
the gnomeweb group alias, you can check out the following 2 modules and
have a look -

	CVSROOT=:ext:widget.gnome.org:/home/jdub/devel-web-cvs
	cvs co library-web
	cvs co devel-web

Okay, there's not much to see there at the moment, but at least it's a
start, and I'd welcome thoughts/suggestions/help. This *will* happen,
and isn't going to take 2 years to do - we did foundation.gnome.org
pretty much within a week, so we're on a roll. Let's make it happen.

Glynn