Re: Gnome Website in Bugzilla

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 10:41:44AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> I've offered to help with getting the website into Gnome's new bugzilla
> our tasks and 'boogs' in a saner manner than people just randomly emailing
> webmaster gnome org (not that they;ll stop doing that). It goes hand in hand
> with what we're doing to restructure the site, so we ought to discuss the
> best way of handling it.

> In bugzilla (for those who haven't used it), there are products and
> components; products are things like "GIMP", and components are subparts of
> products, so the GIMP may have a "Plugins" component (which it does).

> Because of how we're building the website, we'll need to put some thought
> into how we arrange this. One possibility is having a "www.gnome.org" or
> "Gnome Website" product, and then "gtk.gnome.org", "developer.gnome.org",
> "gnotices" and other subdomain-like components.

> Another is to have each major subdomain as a different product, which would
> fall nicely into place with the bugzilla.gnome.org product. Whilst I think
> Bugzilla should be separate, I'm not sure doing this for each major
> subdomain is optimal -> however, it does mean we can keep everything tidy
> and distinct.

> There may be other ways to deal with it based on the architecture of the
> site, so I'd like to hear any ideas you have before we rush in and put it
> up. :)

Given that I think you can reassign bugs between components (right?), I'd
like to see some components like the ones you describe, and others like
"Templates", "Content", "Images" and so on, so we can reassign this in a
useful manner and track it (as well as savvy users being able to assign
directly to the corrent component).

Otherwise, an excellent idea, and one that's doubtless going to be very
useful to track the project, assign tasks, and generally keep things in order.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Ximian web monkey - joakim ximian com - Radagast IRC
  FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer