Re: New set of comps.

<quote who="Ryan Muldoon">

> Projects seems like a pretty big section in of itself.  It like to see
> them get their own domains.....like localization.gnome.org,
> icons.gnome.org, etc.  They are kind of semi-independent entities that
> need a website as their focal point for information.

I'd support this - we'd have to make the web infrastructure simple enough
for maintainers of project sites to fit in with. (Which we were always meant
to do anyway.)

Perhaps we can look at this as an extension of the main site redevelopment,
and put it off until everything else is in place. :)

> Putting it under Developer doesn't really make sense.  Usually when people
> think of "Developer" they think programmer, where many of the projects are
> done by non-programmers.

This is a view that we have to actively fight, so having every kind of Gnome
development project under 'Developer' would be beneficial. Certainly, the
projects must be linked from 'Developer'.

> Community has stuff of general interest between users and developers.
> It would have stuff relevant to the GNOME community.

'Community' seems like a non-section. Everything listed there could be part
of the user or developer sections... Having a section dedicated to using
Gnome would be preferable to the loosely-defined community section.

> News is pretty much user-oriented in my mind.

Trouble is, if we pigeon hole it, that's all it will ever be. Gnome news
should be where press releases, "Hey look, I RENDER-ised GnomeCanvas", *and*
"Gnome 6.2 Released" announcements should go.

If we pigeon hole it, it's more likely for people not to post to it.

> and the vast majority of the people that post there seem to be users.

... of KDE? ;)

> > 2.  There is no specific section where I can go as an end user. Where
> > does the GNOME User's Guide go?
>
> In community.

This isn't an optimal solution... Quite confusing. 'Community' is all of us,
users, developers, companies, even marketers on their good days.

Let's have a section dedicated to users.

> >  --> Interests - Links to stuff like www.themes.org
> That doesn't need its own subsection.....it's basically a couple links
> that will be in relevant existing sections.

Actually, I think it would be an excellent thing to have in a user's section
-> cool resources for other Gnome stuff. themes.org is an excellent example.

> Well, as it stands right now, we have a TON of developer-oriented
> information, and a lot of general-interest information, and a few things
> that are user-oriented.  So I think that the structure should reflect
> what we actually have.

That's a backwards argument. We ought to make room for the things that
really should be on the site, to make it easy for people to add relevant and
up to date information.

We needn't change the structure at all if what we have is good enough!

> Really, "User" is kind of a bad term in my mind.  It isn't very
> inclusive.  "Community" has a much nicer feel to it.  It is more
> welcoming, it still can have a lot of user information, and we already
> have a section for it.

It's blurry, and when it comes to navigation, that's not good. I like your
reasoning, but I don't think you're correct.

- Jeff

-- jdub aphid net ----------------------------- http://lazarus.aphid.net/ --

                 ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.