[Fwd: Re: PHP+gettext (was Re: My stab at the templates)]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: PHP+gettext (was Re: My stab at the templates)
Date: 29 Jun 2001 21:33:37 +0200
From: cgabriel softwarelibero org (Christopher R. Gabriel)
To: Christian Rose <menthos menthos com>
<20010618232740 A9985 eventloop com> <3B2EE20D B1C664E8 menthos com>

    Christian> A slightly modified example from the php gettext page:

    Christian> <?php // the following will be common for every page
    Christian> and could be put in a // common inclusion file.

    Christian> // Set language to German. This would obviously be
    Christian> handled by // a system for choosing language and/or
    Christian> using the one the // browser supplies.  putenv
    Christian> ("LANG=de"); // use all the locale variables. This can
    Christian> be used for printing numbers // correctly (decimal
    Christian> points/commas) and so on.  setlocale(LC_ALL, ""); //
    Christian> Specify location of translation tables bindtextdomain
    Christian> ("gnomeweb",
    Christian> "./path-to-where-the-language-catalogs-are"); // Choose
    Christian> domain textdomain ("gnomeweb");

    Christian> // This is how translations will be used in the
    Christian> pages. _() is a shortcut // for gettext() and will show
    Christian> the translated message.  echo _("Welcome to Gnome
    Christian> Web")."<BR>"; echo _("This should all be translated. If
    Christian> you see this message in the language you entered, it
    Christian> works"); ?>

    Christian> That should be it. Whenever you add new content to the
    Christian> site, you only have to put strings that you will show
    Christian> inside _() and it should work.

    Christian> Granted, I haven't tested that gettext in php works. If
    Christian> anyone wants something to do... If you want help, just
    Christian> ask. Or I'll have to wait until I have the time to test
    Christian> this... :(

I'm using this extensively on http://furbo.firenze.linux.it, and it
works really fine. The code is available at
http://cvs.firenze.linux.it/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/furbo/

Cheers,
--
Christopher

	There's an interference between the keyboard and the chair.