Re: My stab at the templates

On 19 Jun 2001 08:31:44 -0500, Steve Fox wrote:
> On 19 Jun 2001 00:53:01 -0500, Shawn T Amundson wrote:

>> Java is wonderful as long as you don't need to use AWT, Swing, or any of
>> the other horrible associated class libraries.  But let's not start a
>> language war - if group is anti-Java, you won't hurt my feelings.  I just
>> wanted to provide Fabric as an option - it's why we GPLed it.  It is also
>> what www.gtk.org will use, and the group would get a lot of help from me
>> if we went with Fabric.  I'd be more than happy to provide the initial site
>> structure code and the application repository for example.

> If it's being used for www.gtk.org then I'd sure like to hear what
> others have to say about it. Maybe I'm the only anti-Java person here :)
> Or maybe I'm just pro-PHP?

I would tend to agree, but for some subtly different reasons. I actually
did Java for a living for a short while, and I like it a lot as a
language, but there are quite a few problems. The notoriously difficult
process of getting a functional Java environment up and running on a
stock GNU/Linux system, for instance. Not to mention that the best and
most functional implementations are non-free.

I haven't looked a lot at Fabric, really, but in general, it seems to be
common sense to go with the most known, most used solution. While I'm
sure Fabric isn't as misdesigned and evil as WML is, I suspect it's
similarly unknown to people who might want to hack on the site, and
that's a major obstacle.

--
   Joakim Ziegler - Ximian Web Monkey - joakim ximian com - Radagast IRC
 FIX sysop - Free Software Coder - Writer - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer