Re: My stab at the templates

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 08:31:44AM -0500, Steve Fox wrote:
> On 19 Jun 2001 00:53:01 -0500, Shawn T Amundson wrote:
> > Perhaps starting with the system from one of the above mentioned sites
> > would be a good idea if their stuff works well.  Or at least getting
> > feedback about what they spend most of their time doing when it comes
> > to multi-lingual stuff would be invaluable.  Creating a templating
> > system and methodologies for handling a themable and multi-lingual site
> > shouldn't really be what this group has to deal with.
>
> Good idea. I'll ask the Mandrake folks about their site, as well as the
> SourceForge folks. I'm the nut who suggested we use SF to begin with so
> maybe it'll turn out to be an ok solution? :) They are just about ready
> to release version 2.6 which has a lot of cleanup and some really nice
> improvements.

Actually, you should find out if they use one of the standard PHP
template engines, and if so how to set it up properly.  If not, can
their template engine be ripped out of their code?

> > Java is wonderful as long as you don't need to use AWT, Swing, or any of
> > the other horrible associated class libraries.  But let's not start a
> > language war - if group is anti-Java, you won't hurt my feelings.  I just
> > wanted to provide Fabric as an option - it's why we GPLed it.  It is also
> > what www.gtk.org will use, and the group would get a lot of help from me
> > if we went with Fabric.  I'd be more than happy to provide the initial site
> > structure code and the application repository for example.
>
> If it's being used for www.gtk.org then I'd sure like to hear what
> others have to say about it. Maybe I'm the only anti-Java person here :)
> Or maybe I'm just pro-PHP?

You can actually checkout the work-in-progress for gtk.org from the GNOME
CVS repository; the module name is 'web-gtkorg'.  There is not much there
right now except the static pages and on the download page it figures out
from the ftp site the most recent version to display.

(If any graphic artist wants to help make gtk.org look good, now would be
 a good time...  and much appreciated too.)

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson                       amundson eventloop com
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking