Re: PHP+gettext (was Re: My stab at the templates)

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 08:07:56AM +0100, Shawn T Amundson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 08:09:00AM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
[snip]
> Fixing typos or changing wording in english then messes up everyone
> else, and since that's a common thing for a website of any size, the
> problem is substantial.  It simply isn't realistic.

I had a quick read through the fabric manual - would it your suggestion to
have templates for each language in a direactory structure? e.g.

templates/en/homepage.ftl
.
.
templates/de/homepage.ftl
.
.

It seems read fabric is *similar* to PHPLIB or PEAR templates to push data
into templates. An alternative approach is Velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/ which uses a pull model to achieve MVC
separation.

However I seem to remember more people suggesting PHP than other options,
so I did a really brain dead check,

[pgc hankey mail]$ grep php gnome-web | wc -l
     90
[pgc hankey mail]$ grep java gnome-web | wc -l
     22
[pgc hankey mail]$ grep perl gnome-web | wc -l
     46
[pgc hankey mail]$ grep python gnome-web | wc -l
      3

Let the flames begin ;-) But more seriously - what are our hardware
constraints? Will we be able to support apache + tomcat + fabric or
apache + PHP + PHP templates?

Paul