Re: Tackling the applist

On 15 Aug 2001 01:06:10 -0400, Steve Fox wrote:
> On 14 Aug 2001 22:37:20 -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>> If we were to just go with a simple replacement for the applist, so that
>> we can get that flaming POS replaced ASAP, would it be possible to
>> extend it to do more cool stuff later, or is that likely to make for
>> some really ugly code?  I'd like to see some or all of these features,
>> but I'd really like to have an applist that was useful for something.

> I took a peek at the current applist code and it looks like it doesn't
> even do any authentication? If that is correct, I can probably have a
> Trove replacement for it in a couple days. Part of the reason why I want
> to use more of the SourceForge code is because all the authentication
> stuff is already in there, but it's easy to take out.

On one hand, it would indeed be a good idea to replace the current
applist as soon as possible. On the other hand, the lack of
authentication is a big problem. It might be worth considering
implementing at least basic authentication.

Ideally, you would do this:

* Implement the new trove-based system with authentication.
* Migrate over the data from the current applist, and possibly go
through it to remove crap.
* Generate accounts and passwords for each maintainer listed in the
applist.
* Email the maintainers their passwords.
* Deploy the new applist.

But that's a bit of work, and might not be possible within time
constraints, etc.

> BTW, specifically what is it that everyone hates so much about the
> current applist? Is it the presentation of apps or is it the
> editing/updating of records? Just curious so that I know what to avoid

Lack of a search function, lack of editing/deletion capabilities, no
authentication, the categories don't make much sense, no approval
process...

--
   Joakim Ziegler - Ximian Web Monkey - joakim ximian com - Radagast IRC
 FIX sysop - Free Software Coder - Writer - FIDEL & Conglomerate