Tackling the applist

So I've started working on a Trove-based replacement for the applist and
I've had a few thoughts that we should consider.

There is a lot more code from SourceForge that we could steal and do
some neato things with. For instance, we could offer project release
monitoring via email like freshmeat.net does now? We could use the SF
file release system (except skip the uploads) to do this, as well as
retain version history and changelogs.

This would, of course, require that people have logins on the website.
Given this, it would be trivial to require logins to post on Gnotices if
we wanted to (this should cut down on the trolls).

The reason I ask here, is that I can make the Trove system very simple
like the App List is right now if we don't want any of these neato whiz
bang features. But if we want these, there is a lot more code from
SourceForge that it will require.

I would like to do it. Please share your thoughts on this.

--

Steve Fox
http://k-lug.org