Re: Localized Pages

Felipe Contreras wrote:

Well, I think we should add some translation but not say it is a very
important feature

What do you mean? Should we hide this feature? If it is hidden and you have to search the site to find it, then how useful would it be for those who need it the most, who might never even find it?

waht we can do is to design the site to use some parts
international, some other local,

I think this is something that was already discussed. Basically, the content could be divided into two parts -- the gnome.org content (translated as much as possible if translation is wanted) and content targeted for the language/country in question (if you split the latter you have three parts). This locale-specific content could reside in subdirectories on local mirrors, but be linked from gnome.org and its mirrors.

but not to put a list of languages on the
front page but for example a link on the front page to another page with the
whole list of languages or countries or both or whatever, so when I click
espaņol I go to intl.gnome.org/es, and inside there some links can go to
www.gnome.com (in english). What do you think?

I think that hiding the language selection on its own page has its problems.
I can't tell if you were against the idea of automatic language detection with browser content negotiation, but if this is the case you have a problem with visitors that aren't fluent in English or don't even understand English and would be much better served with translated content. They might not even realize that they can get this very English-speaking site in another language by clicking on a link somewhere. If you have trouble understanding the site itself, you will have trouble finding that link to the page with language selection too.

If automatic language selection is instead used, but manual language selection still hidden on its own page, the problem will be those visitors who aren't satisfied by the automatic selection and would want the site in another language. They too would have to try to read and understand the contents (frustrating) and find the link to "correct" the language selection.

Even if this "language selection page" is to be found easily for everyone, having to go to, and load, a seperate page just to select another language or "correct" a language selection will put off some people on slow links. That's why I'm advocating the use of content negotiation, because we already *have* the information about what language the visitor wants before he has even seen the gnome.org front page the first time. Why not make use for it in a clever way, instead of forcing the user to do this manually? Even if this, as all preferences, can be set wrongly in some cases, I think that assuming that it is correct and serving as based on this information as default seems natural. In those few cases where the automatic language selection didn't cut it we have a simple way on the front page to select the wanted language manually. What's the problem with this strategy?

To summarize, I see no advantages with hiding language selection on its own page, but rather some usability problems, and I think that the use of automatic language selection, together with the providing of means for manual language selection directly on the front page and easily spotted solves some of this.

Christian