Re: Taking a step back for a moment......

On 2000.11.22 14:43:25 -0300 Michael Bernstein wrote:
> Ryan Muldoon wrote:
> >
> > 1. Navigation
> > we don't need to plan out elaborate schemas for navigation.  Just a
> > simple one that works.  I think that we have basically all agreed that
> > we should organize navigation by task.  This makes sense, as this is
> how
> > people want to use websites.
>
> Task oriented navigation is a wonderful thing, but it is
> hardly an all encompassing categorization schema. There is
> easily going to be a lot of information that either does not
> conform to a particular task, or applies to more than one
> task. Therefore task oriented navigation should be
> supplementary, not primary.

Well... I disagree. I think the information gnome.org is about to show is
easily categorizable, and cross-linking solves the problem if an item
applies to more than one task. In any case, we can run some usability tests
to see if it flows smoothly.

Michel Martens