Re: Website ideas

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 01:28:23PM +0100, Roel wrote:

> > -->new gtk software (?)
>
> I would choose not to include 'normal' gtk-only software any more. This
> will probably be not so nice for those that currently announce their
> software on gtk.org. A quick look at www.gtk.org/apps shows that a lot of
> the software there is old (1999 or earlier), and that most of the newer
> software has at least optional gnome support. I think it is better to have
> a high quality list with only robust and/or actively being developed
> software then a list with outdated software and broken links.

That is because the last time I added anything to the list was in 1999,
and is not an indication of anything other than that.  The intent was to
list all GNOME software on www.gtk.org/apps as well.  But there is no way
I could keep up, and had no desire to do so really.  When Freshmeat was
purchased, I stopped updating the list entirely.

By listing GTK+-only apps as well, you give a more complete view of what
is available, and might avoid some duplication of work.  For example, just
because GIMP is GTK+-only, should it not show up in GNOME's software
list?  GIMP is still GNOME's best app, even if it has little GNOME
support.  ;-)

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson                       amundson eventloop com
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking