Re:initial structure ideas

Dear Friends,

	Here are some of my suggestions.

	* I guess nearly everybody on list will agree with me if I say
ABSOLUTELY NO FRAMES PLEASE.

	* Atleast the first page has to be so designed that the visitor
would'nt have to scroll down for any information. For example, in the
current www.gnome.org site, the top logo occupies nearly 40 - 50% of the
available screen space, which is not really advisable.

	* Also, a decision has to be reached about the "depth" of the
web-site. What is the maximum number of links a visitor would have to
follow to reach the information he desires. This would have a direct
impact on our web-site structure, links etc. Pages at lower levels (if
the home page is assumed to be at the highest level of the tree), contain
specific information and can be a lot bigger.

	* As somebody already pointed out (sorry!!, i dont remember who),
there are a LOT of browsers which are either older versions, or, do not
stick to standards. So, I think we should avoid any technologies such as
JavaScript, Java applets etc. We should make sure that our pages look neat
even on the Lynx/HyperTerminal browser (I personally love the Lynx).

	* I'm not sure if we really need a "navigation system". I guess a
link to the home page on every page is sufficient.

	* I love the concept of having a constant top logo with links to
all the major categorical pages. That's the way I designed my univ's home
page. Please look at www.iitm.ac.in .I really think it's a neat idea.

	These were just some suggestions. If anybody has any improvements
or if somebody thinks I'm wrong somewhere, please let me know.

Sai