Re: Website ideas

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 01:28:23PM +0100, Roel wrote:
> Ryan Muldoon <rpmuldoon students wisc edu> wrote:

> I think you have a nice, comprehensible structure worked out. A few
> comments:

>> -->new gtk software (?)

> I would choose not to include 'normal' gtk-only software any more. This
> will probably be not so nice for those that currently announce their
> software on gtk.org. A quick look at www.gtk.org/apps shows that a lot of
> the software there is old (1999 or earlier), and that most of the newer
> software has at least optional gnome support. I think it is better to have
> a high quality list with only robust and/or actively being developed
> software then a list with outdated software and broken links.

If we're doing the GTK+ site, then we need to do this. If you disagree, I
suggest you go on a GTK mailing list, and suggest they should all use GNOME
just because they're using GTK+. Be sure to keep a fire extinguisher handy.

>> -->translation info

> How about translation.gnome.org or internationalization.gnome.org (or is it
> with a s?) or something like that? I think internationalization is
> important enough to have it's own section.

Internationalization isn't translation. Just because the dir happens to be
called i18n right now doesn't mean we should continue that trend if we're
inventing new things anyway. The correct term would be localization (l10n),
but I actually think translation (probably with the alias translations) is a
much more friendly, non-technical word, that represents the same thing.

> A common layout structure for all these sites is obviously needed, but like
> someone proposed, it would imho be nice to distinguish them with a
> different background color or so. All the graphically gifted people among
> us may want to start designing and putting their stuff online for
> commenting
> (joshua, could you put links to all those pages on the page you already
> have?) There will be designs that we will not use, so please don't feel
> offended if you design something and it is not choosen. Consider it
> software Darwinism :-)

As I've pointed out in an earlier mail, this is a very low-yield method of
design, *especially* if we don't have any sort of consensus yet on the goals
and guidelines for the design. There's a place for several parallel design
sketches, but it's somewhat later in the process, and even then, just
choosing the one that seems best and sticking with that is not the optimal
way of doing it (it's a lot better to point out the good parts of each, and
then try to merge the design proposals to a certain degree).

> Joshua, could you also put a sort of voting system on your page so that we
> can elect a sort of leader for this? Otherwise we'll keep on nitpicking on
> some things and we will never get any work done. I would support Joakim
> Ziegler as it seems to me that he has real world contact with the gnome
> developers at helix code. Joakim, do you get 'paid' time to work on the
> gnome website or is this all in your own time?

This is on my own time, yes.

A formal vote seems a little weird to me, given that the whole reason I
picked this up was that I asked gnome-hackers (which includes the members of
the new GNOME foundation board of directors) if people thought it was a good
idea that I should lead this thing, and I Was met with agreement.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim helixcode com - Radagast IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer