Re: Localized sites (was Re: Jumping in...)

Hi!

I've just subscrbed, and received my first mail from the list. In a topic,
I'm also interested in :)

Just for short:
I'm a member of the Hungarian GNOME translation team (however I'm now
studiing in Germany). With another guy from the team we are just working
on a website which intend to help the translators' work. Our homepage
(www.gnome.hu) and the translators' website (ford.gnome.hu) are still
heavyly under construction.

The Hungarian GNOME webpage is (planned to be) a translation of the
original GNOME.org. The local stuff can be found in a /hu/ directory. The
translators' page is on a different server, in the other part of the
country.

On 16 Nov 2000, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Joakim Ziegler <joakim helixcode com> writes:
> > This is indeed welcome, and brings up some things I've been thinking about
> > for a while. Specifically, there are a few nationalized mirrors around the
> > world (most notably the German and Italian ones, at least those are the ones
> > I've seen). These tend to be done separately from the main site, at most
> > using some of the graphics from it, etc.
www.gnome.hu :) You will be able to understand most of it, since the
translation is far from complete :) One diffiulty is the translation of
the images.

> > In my ideal world, the sites would all be generated from the same place,
> > using the national language as the default, overridable by browser settings
> > and probably also a menu on the site. This would mean that every national
> > mirror would also be a mirror of the entire GNOME site in all languages,
> > which would help offload traffic and so on.
Our problem is that we could find a firm that has internet access, and
placed our webpage there. But I think we do not have to much space
there. At this moment we have a partial mirrior of anoncvs (only files
that are important for translation) at out translators' machine. It is
located in a dormitory, so perhaps we have space for a www.gnome.org
mirror.

> I think a good solution might involve a main web site that is the same
> everwhere but translated, this would be the main page:
> http://www.de.gnome.org/, and then language and maybe country-specific
> sections that are prominently linked to off of that, say,
> http://www.de.gnome.org/de/.
I think a global database for some things would be also useful. For
example I have to download all the souce files (I mean update) from
anoncvs every night, and run my scripts to have a local database of the
translations. If the statistics page on GNOME.org had some kind of
backend, it would be much easier.

Regards,
Rob