Re: Nautilus+GIO vs GnomeApps+GNOMEVFS (aka: the clash on trash)

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 17:14 +0100, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> I'm playing with my jhbuild development install.
>
> We have a serious issue about trash: gio+gvfs implements the fd.o trash
> spec, gnome-vfs uses the old, custom ~/.Trash directory.
>
> ################
>
> Example 1: I'm using EoG to browse some photos to store. I want to
> remove some, then I use the "Move to Trash" feature inside EoG.
>
> Result 1: trashed photos will never appear in trash:// 'cause was moved
> to ~/.Trash, not .local/share/Trash. Those photos will survive as
> zombies in my file system...
>
> Example 2: my distro removed desktop icons an provided the trash applet.
>
> Result 2: a big mess: the applet will open trash:// but will move files
> to and will monitor ~/.Trash :-(
>
> ################
>
> Some applications are moving to gio/gvfs, meanwhile, could we:
>       * implement fd.o trash in gnome-vfs

Trash is pretty complex in gnome-vfs, so I doubt this is a good thing to
spend our time on. Converting apps to use the trash via gio seems
better. Trashing a file is far easier in gio anyway, just call the
g_file_trash() operation.

>       * run a (hidden) migrate trash (at Nautilus startup?) is .Trash
>         exists and there are files?

Yeah, we should probably do that somewhere. I was thinking gnome-session
could do it.

> PS there is a yet open bug against EoG. Alex, could you port the trash
> applet to GIO?

I've never worked on the trash applet really, and I'm busy fixing other
regressions. Ideally the maintainers of it would do the port (which
should be pretty simple).