Re: GVfs status report

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 11:05 +0200, nf2 wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 18:55 +0200, nf2 wrote:
> >
> another thing: gio doesn't have a "session object" - thus you cannot
> initialize it with a different main loop context - when using it in a
> worker thread for instance...

You don't need a session object for that. Other solutions is to pass it
in the context to each async operation, or to have a thread-local
setting for the main loop to use.

However, currently this is not supported, as it doesn't seem very common
to use async i/o in a separate thread. UI apps use async i/o mainly to
avoid blocking the main thread, and rarely on threads, so we decided to
not support it. (Well, you can initiate async i/o on a thread, but the
callback will be on the main thread.) We do however support using sync
i/o on threads.

In fact, early versions of gio had support for this, but it was removed
because it complicated the API and the implementation for something that
almost nobody would use. See an earlier thread on gtk-devel-list for
this discussion.