Re: gnome-vfs without nautilus

Jesse van den Kieboom wrote:
Op zondag 07-01-2007 om 14:23 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Maximilian
Treiber:
Hello List,

i hope asking an enduser question like this here is not inappropriate,
if yes, please ignore this post ;)

I'm a big fan of gedit but i run a system without the nautilus
desktop manager.
So my question: is it possible to define "mounted" servers for
gnome-vfs without having the "nautilus-connect-server" dialog
available ?
In other words: I want to be able to open files from different
shares (like sftp, ftp, smb) in gnome-vfs aware programms without
having to type in the full uri all the time and without having a
nautilus installation. Is this possible ? perhaps with gconf ?

You might be able to do this through gconf (whether or not it's a good
idea is another question).

The layout in gconf is like this:

/desktop/gnome/connected_servers
---> 10
------> display_name: user host
------> icon: gnome-fs-ftp
------> uri: ftp://user host
---> 11
------> display_name: user host
------> icon: gnome-fs-sftp
------> uri: sftp://user host

Works perfectly!

if anyone else is interested later, here is what you need to execute:
(for example for an ssh-mount in slot 5)

gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/connected_servers/5/uri "ssh://user host/path" # Notice: there is no ":" before the path gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/connected_servers/5/display_name "user host" gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/connected_servers/5/icon "gnome-fs-ssh"

gnome-vfs will ask for the password automatically.

btw: it does not appear in the "open" dialog of gedit, but in the sidepane with the directory browsing plugin. Thats enough ...

Thanks!

-Maximilian Treiber