gnome-vfs without nautilus

Hello List,

i hope asking an enduser question like this here is not inappropriate,
if yes, please ignore this post ;)

I'm a big fan of gedit but i run a system without the nautilus
desktop manager.
So my question: is it possible to define "mounted" servers for
gnome-vfs without having the "nautilus-connect-server" dialog
available ?
In other words: I want to be able to open files from different
shares (like sftp, ftp, smb) in gnome-vfs aware programms without
having to type in the full uri all the time and without having a
nautilus installation. Is this possible ? perhaps with gconf ?

PS: Im not subscribed to this list, so please cc me.

Thanks a lot!

-Maximilian Treiber