Re: Plans for gnome-vfs replacement
- From: Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>
- To: Hans Petter Jansson <hpj novell com>
- Cc: Paolo Borelli <pborelli katamail com>, "gtk-devel-list gnome org" <gtk-devel-list gnome org>, Tim Janik <timj imendio com>, Paolo Maggi <paolo gnome org>, "gnome-vfs-list gnome org" <gnome-vfs-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: Plans for gnome-vfs replacement
- Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:06:59 +0200
On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 19:01 -0400, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 13:14 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > The way I had planned this was to always use true async i/o when talking
> > to the vfs daemon via sockets (easy), but implement local async i/o
> > using threads. If glib threads are not initialized we'd just fall back
> > to doing blocking "async" calls.
> You could use AIO on Linux and the equivalent on BSD, if you think it's
> worth the effort. Flow will have an AIO-based implementation eventually.
Unfortuantely the linux support isn't good enough. I talked to some
kernel people, and it would seem this is still pretty much the status
wrt posix aio:
In particular, we would need fixes for at least restrictions 1, 5 and 7.
Alexander Larsson Red Hat, Inc
alexl redhat com alla lysator liu se
He's a short-sighted shark-wrestling vagrant from the 'hood. She's a
cosmopolitan nymphomaniac magician's assistant with the soul of a mighty
warrior. They fight crime!
] [Thread Prev