Re: Plans for gnome-vfs replacement

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 18:23 +0000, Nate Nielsen wrote:
> Awesome work Alex...
>
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > These filenames would be the real identifier for the files, and as
> > such not really presentable to the user as it. You'd need to ask for
> > the display name via the vfs to get a user readable utf8-encoded
> > string for display.
>
> Do you see the display names being able to be mapped back to those
> identifiers? Or would it be sort of Windowsish where you can't type
> certain paths in explorer. As far as the user is concerned they just
> sort of start at some magical top level entity.
>
> For example a lot of people currenty really like the Ctrl-L location box
> and the ability to type URIs. If the display names are typeable by the
> user, it may be worth trying to have the display names look similar to
> the URIs people are used to now...

There needs to be a way to map a display name entered by the user for
say a new file to be saved to a filename. I don't think we can guarantee
a roundtrip though. However, many filenames will be in the form of ascii
and utf8, so I think in most cases typing in a filename will work. Maybe
we can support a form of escaped text for input of non-utf8? Clearly
this needs some thinking.

> > I've been doing some initial sketching of the glib API, and I've
> > started by introducing base GInputStream and GOutputStream similar to
> > the stream objects in Java and .Net. These have async i/o support and
> > will make the API for reading and writing files nicer and more
> > modern. There is also a GSeekable interface that streams can
> > optionally implement if they support seeking.
>
> Wonderful. This'll allow for things like seeking video to work without
> "Buffering..." on backends that support seek operations.

Not really. The "Buffering..." part is generally where the app streams
to fill its buffers before starting to play to avoid problems with
network performance.

He's a lounge-singing gay househusband haunted by memories of 'Nam. She's a
sharp-shooting Bolivian opera singer who believes she is the reincarnation of
an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!