Re: Plans for gnome-vfs replacement

Awesome work Alex...

Alexander Larsson wrote:

<snip>

> These filenames would be the real identifier for the files, and as
> such not really presentable to the user as it. You'd need to ask for
> the display name via the vfs to get a user readable utf8-encoded
> string for display.

Do you see the display names being able to be mapped back to those
identifiers? Or would it be sort of Windowsish where you can't type
certain paths in explorer. As far as the user is concerned they just
sort of start at some magical top level entity.

For example a lot of people currenty really like the Ctrl-L location box
and the ability to type URIs. If the display names are typeable by the
user, it may be worth trying to have the display names look similar to
the URIs people are used to now...

> I've been doing some initial sketching of the glib API, and I've
> started by introducing base GInputStream and GOutputStream similar to
> the stream objects in Java and .Net. These have async i/o support and
> will make the API for reading and writing files nicer and more
> modern. There is also a GSeekable interface that streams can
> optionally implement if they support seeking.

Wonderful. This'll allow for things like seeking video to work without
"Buffering..." on backends that support seek operations.

Cheers,
Nate