CD images without .iso extension

Hi,

I'm trying to know why libgnome-vfs doesn't consider a file with a
non-.iso extension as a ISO 9660 image. I saw this code in gnomebaker
application:

    /* GnomeVFS fails to correctly identify a CD image if the extension
 * is no .iso, so we'll offer the user to burn it anyway
        When gnomevfs is fixed, we'll go back to the previous code.
        gnomebaker_show_msg_dlg(NULL, GTK_MESSAGE_INFO, GTK_BUTTONS_OK,
GTK_BUTTONS_NONE,
        _("The file you have selected is not a cd image. Please select a
cd image to burn."));*/

I would like to make gnomebaker work with .raw files. I took a look in
the gnome-vfs2-2.14.2 sources (Debian package) but I could not find
anything about iso 9660 file extensions.

Here are the questions: does the comments in gnomebaker source make
sense? Is it possible to make libgnomevfs work with cue/toc/raw/etc
file extensions just checking their internal bytes instead of their file
names?

thanks,

--
Tiago Bortoletto Vaz