Re: Are there plans to support libcdio for CDDA support in gnome-vfs?

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 23:14 -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> Here at Sun we recently added libcdio to our OpenSolaris distribution
> and we really like how it works with GStreamer.  We were easily able
> to get sound-juicer working with it to support CD ripping on Solaris.
>
> However, I notice that gnome-vfs depends on libparanoia for CDDA support
> in order for CD playback functionality to work in totem, rhythmbox, and
> nautilus.
>
> Are there any plans to make gnome-vfs also support libcdio so that CD
> playback and gnome-vfs CDDA support can work on platforms like Solaris
> that do not support libparanoia?
>
> Just curious if there are any plans.

The cdda gnome-vfs backend is disabled by default, and I don't consider
it very useful. Most modern linux distros instead ship with a
url-handler for cdda:// uris so that you can click on an audio cd icon
and open the default cd player app.

He's a scarfaced soccer-playing cyborg who dotes on his loving old ma. She's a
cosmopolitan mute angel with a birthmark shaped like Liberty's torch. They
fight crime!