Re: GNOME-VFS module for iRiver iFP players

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 02:14:55AM +0200, Alexander Brausewetter wrote:
> No, I've written one from scratch. Had a bit trouble since the iFPs do
> not support parallel I/O but got around it. My modul is nearly finished,
> only rmdir, mkdir are missing but I will add them through this week.

Okay, same here.  That should be pretty easy with the ifp library.

> File read/write/create is working without problems.

Good deal!

> > I'm not doing that at all.  So far, I've got some
> > parts of it working already, but I've decided to refactor the code
> > because my current solution doesn't do a good job of locking the USB
> > device which needs to be done due to the threaded nature of nautilus.
>
> My modul does strikt locking on every I/O op. Otherwise the device would
> lock up.

Indeed.

> > I'd use something like arch or something so that people can pull your
> > code and look at it.  Just a thought.
>
> When I get CVS space I'm open for other contributors. I think I will
> apply at <accounts gnome org>.

Yep, thats the right place.

> My next step would be an extension for gnome-volume-manager so the
> device will be automounted.

Talk to David Z, about that.  You need to set up the capabilities
database for that USB id in order to get DBUS to send out the event.
However, there is a problem I'm not sure is fixed with gnome-vfs.
It doesn't know how to create devices that aren't seen as disks
so it doesn't know how to create those.  I don't know if Alex or
someone has fixed that problem or not.  I looked into it and it
does require some hacking on gnome-vfs so that it understands the
DBUS capabilities.  The solution is probably pretty simple but it
needs to be done for all devices including cameras.  I'm hoping
DavidZ has a good idea on how to do that since he hacks that stuff.

However, it could be fixed hopefully David or Alex have something to
say about it.

sri