Re: Patch: Prompt for required password when mounting a drive

Hi!

David Zeuthen [2005-08-26 11:12 -0400]:
> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 17:03 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > I think this is the way to go for GUI'izing password entries.
> > gnome-volume-manager and gnome-vfs-daemon should ask for a passphrase
> > and pass it to mount/pmount rather than trying to modify and scan
> > /dev/tty. mount has the -p option which is roughly equivalent to
> > pmount's --passphrase (it just takes a file fd number rather than a
> > path).
>
> Strongly disagree here. Asking for passwords, and other items that
> involves the UI, should be taken care of by the mount program in
> question. As an aside we also want the mount program to read user
> preferences from e.g. gconf. Also, we want a well-defined error
> reporting interface. Using pipes, screen-scraping and what-not, as we do
> now, is just something that should be avoided.

I see your point, but I will not introduce any GUI dependencies to
pmount. The code that runs as root should stay small and
self-contained, without any library dependencies like GTK.

A while ago, somebody proposed a wrapper (gnome-pmount or whatever)
that could handle password input, error reporting, and the like. There
already is a wrapper pmount-hal that is used in Ubuntu to read out hal
properties and pass it to pmount. The communication (password passing)
between this wrapper and pmount should certainly happen over a pipe;
above that level (i. e. gnome-volume-manager and gnome-pmount) I don't
really care.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de