Re: Patch: Prompt for required password when mounting a drive

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 17:03 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> I think this is the way to go for GUI'izing password entries.
> gnome-volume-manager and gnome-vfs-daemon should ask for a passphrase
> and pass it to mount/pmount rather than trying to modify and scan
> /dev/tty. mount has the -p option which is roughly equivalent to
> pmount's --passphrase (it just takes a file fd number rather than a
> path).

Strongly disagree here. Asking for passwords, and other items that
involves the UI, should be taken care of by the mount program in
question. As an aside we also want the mount program to read user
preferences from e.g. gconf. Also, we want a well-defined error
reporting interface. Using pipes, screen-scraping and what-not, as we do
now, is just something that should be avoided.

Cheers,
David