Sharing methods among several modules

There has for a long time been a confusion between the protocol prefix
of an URI and volume labels (as in AmigaOS and NetWare). For example
GnomeVFS uses the URI computer:/// to access the virtual "computer
directory". The idea (I assume) is that it should appear as a volume
label called "computer:", but the URI of such a label should really be
file://computer|/ (or is it file:///computer: ?).

The problem here is a limitation in GnomeVFS which only allows one
module to handle each method. Thus each new module needs to allocate a
new method (fake protocol). I decided to fix this by making a module
which can "mount" other modules in the same tree, or make them appear
as volume labels. The idea is to have this module handle the
file-method and mount the file-module as root, and then have the
possibility to mount other modules (such as the computer-module) at
other places in that tree. Is this a reasonable approach, would it even
be suitable for inclusion in GnomeVFS?