Re: gnome-vfs and character sets

Christian Biesinger wrote:

Alexander Larsson wrote:

o) For authentication information (username, password), what character set should be used for non-ascii characters? UTF-8?

At the moment everything uses UTF-8 here, although I dunno if anything
does anything with this behind the scenes. I think we just pass on the
strings. However, username/password rarely use > 127 characters i guess,
and for the case they do, lets bloody hope they use utf8. :)

Hmm, at least HTTP requires special dealing with non-ascii authentication information...

[re-sending now that i'm a member of the gnome-vfs-list]

See RFC 2617 (HTTP Authentication) section 2, where username and password for HTTP basic auth are defined to consist of characters from TEXT. RFC 2616 in defining the TEXT rule has this to say:

 Words of *TEXT MAY contain characters from character sets other
 than ISO-8859-1 [22] only when encoded according to the rules
 of RFC 2047.

Not that Mozilla get's this right either

-Darin