Re: gnome-vfs and character sets

Alexander Larsson wrote:
o) If I give gnome-vfs a file: URI, how should non-ascii characters be encoded? Should I give it escaped UTF-8, or unescaped UTF-8, or should I use the filesystem's charset? (the function I'm most interested in in this context is gnome_vfs_get_file_info)

You should use the filesystems charset (which is undefined, filenames
are bytestrings).

Cool. Thank you, this is actually what works better for me.
I can (should?) escape non-ascii characters though, right? (in URIs)

o) What character set is used for the filename member of the GnomeVFSFileInfo struct?

None. Its a byte string (without \0 or / in) corresponding to the
filename bytestring on the disk.

What if this fileinfo does not correspond to a local file (for example, a smb: file)?

o) For authentication information (username, password), what character set should be used for non-ascii characters? UTF-8?

At the moment everything uses UTF-8 here, although I dunno if anything
does anything with this behind the scenes. I think we just pass on the
strings. However, username/password rarely use > 127 characters i guess,
and for the case they do, lets bloody hope they use utf8. :)

Hmm, at least HTTP requires special dealing with non-ascii authentication information...