gnome-vfs and character sets

[please cc me on replies... I'm not subscribed to this list]

Hello,
I've got a question about the character sets used by gnome-vfs; specifically: o) If I give gnome-vfs a file: URI, how should non-ascii characters be encoded? Should I give it escaped UTF-8, or unescaped UTF-8, or should I use the filesystem's charset? (the function I'm most interested in in this context is gnome_vfs_get_file_info)

o) What character set is used for the filename member of the GnomeVFSFileInfo struct?

(This is of course most relevant if the filesystem's charset is not utf-8)

o) For authentication information (username, password), what character set should be used for non-ascii characters? UTF-8?

thanks,
-biesi