Re: Gnome-VFS depending on bonobo

Magnus Bergman wrote:

On 15 Mar 2004 10:50:51 +0100
Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 17:01, Magnus Bergman wrote:
I'm just wondering if there is a good reason for gnome-vfs to depend
on bonobo and orbit. Gnome-vfs could be very usable in many
non-desktop programs, like for example a web-server. But with it's
current dependencies it kind of discourages such usage. Would it be
much work to reduce the dependencies of the gnome-vfs core to,
perhaps, only glib?
Bonobo (not BonoboUI) and ORBit2 is used for the gnome-vfs daemon
communication, as well as for GConf.

And by the way I am well aware that there is nothing desktop-specific
about Bonobo. But the thing is many developers (server application
developers not the least) consider Bonobo, ORBit and such to be
unnecessary "gnome bloat" and therefore hesitate to make use of very
handy packages like Gnome-VFS.

Maybe you should have a look at Fuse instead, which is a user mode filesystem for linux. This has no dependencies other than a working kernel :-)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/avf

Best regards,
Leen Toelen

confidentiality notice:
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be the subject of legal professional privilege. It is intended for the authorized use of the individual or entity addressed. If the receiver or reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If this email is received in error, please accept our apologies, delete all copies from your system, and notify us at cropdesign cropdesign com