Re: Gnome-VFS depending on bonobo

On 15 Mar 2004 10:50:51 +0100
Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 17:01, Magnus Bergman wrote:
> > I'm just wondering if there is a good reason for gnome-vfs to depend
> > on bonobo and orbit. Gnome-vfs could be very usable in many
> > non-desktop programs, like for example a web-server. But with it's
> > current dependencies it kind of discourages such usage. Would it be
> > much work to reduce the dependencies of the gnome-vfs core to,
> > perhaps, only glib?
>
> Bonobo (not BonoboUI) and ORBit2 is used for the gnome-vfs daemon
> communication, as well as for GConf.

If I have understood this correctly the daemon is used for caching
stateful connections, right? If I don't need that, would it be possible
to build without Bonobo and ORBit? If not, is a patch that makes it
possible likely to be accepted?

I currently use Gnome-VFS for two separate thing. Mime-type detection
(in a plug-in to a server application) and as a glue application
applications and custom VFS modules. Perhaps it would be a good idea to
split these functionalities into different packages?

And by the way I am well aware that there is nothing desktop-specific
about Bonobo. But the thing is many developers (server application
developers not the least) consider Bonobo, ORBit and such to be
unnecessary "gnome bloat" and therefore hesitate to make use of very
handy packages like Gnome-VFS.