Re: Gnome-VFS depending on bonobo

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:53:40 -0500
Rodney Dawes <dobey free fr> wrote:

> On Pre , 2004-03-12 at 17:10, Walter Landry wrote:
> > Magnus Bergman <magnus bergman observer net> wrote:
> > > I'm just wondering if there is a good reason for gnome-vfs to
> > > depend on bonobo and orbit. Gnome-vfs could be very usable in many
> > > non-desktop programs, like for example a web-server. But with it's
> > > current dependencies it kind of discourages such usage. Would it
> > > be much work to reduce the dependencies of the gnome-vfs core to,
> > > perhaps, only glib?
> >
> > FYI, I'm now using gnome-vfs in a command line client, so this would
> > definitely be nice for me.
>
> gnome-vfs does not require a display at all. You can use it very
> easily without one.
>
> I also would not recommend using it for a web server. The HTTP
> implementation is very incomplete, and it's not really suited for
> doing server-type things.

Gnome-VFS has very good mime-type detection code, better then any web
server I know of. It is also useful to access data from nonstandard
sources with custom VFS modules (instead of writing plugins for the
server directly). For example I have written a VFS module that
constructs documents from data in an Oracle database. It is used by a
couple of server applications, and as a bonus it works with nautilus
too.

But now everything is going to be ported to IRIX and that is quite
likely to cause trouble.