Re: Gnome-VFS depending on bonobo

Rodney Dawes <dobey free fr> wrote:
> On Sht , 2004-03-13 at 12:02, Walter Landry wrote:
> > I know.  The problem is if someone doesn't already have gnome-vfs
> > installed.  The dependencies are rather onerous.
>
> Then you need to be bugging the gconf hackers, or using packages and
> an updater that resolves dependencies without needing any extra user
> interaction.

I can't specify which OS my users are going to use (e.g. AIX, Solaris,
SGI, cygwin, HPUX, ...)

> gnome-vfs needs gconf for the proxy seetings and such. It also needs
> plenty of other things as well. It needs shared-mime-info,
> gnome-mime-data, gnutls or openssl if you want https support.

If the dependencies are real, then I don't have a problem with that.
For example, libxml is a requirement because I use WebDAV.  I was just
hoping that the dependencies could be simplified.

> You might consider making a patch to gnome-vfs to allow it to link
> statically to everything, and allow the protocol modules to be linked
> in statically to the library as well. Then you can just build a static
> version of gnome-vfs, and link to that, and the dependency "issues"
> won't exist anymore.

That won't work for architectures that I don't have access to.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry ucsd edu