Re: Gnome-VFS depending on bonobo

On Sht , 2004-03-13 at 12:02, Walter Landry wrote:
> Rodney Dawes <dobey free fr> wrote:
> > >
> > > FYI, I'm now using gnome-vfs in a command line client, so this would
> > > definitely be nice for me.
> >
> > gnome-vfs does not require a display at all. You can use it very easily
> > without one.
>
> I know.  The problem is if someone doesn't already have gnome-vfs
> installed.  The dependencies are rather onerous.

Then you need to be bugging the gconf hackers, or using packages and an
updater that resolves dependencies without needing any extra user
interaction. gnome-vfs needs gconf for the proxy seetings and such. It
also needs plenty of other things as well. It needs shared-mime-info,
gnome-mime-data, gnutls or openssl if you want https support.

You might consider making a patch to gnome-vfs to allow it to link
statically to everything, and allow the protocol modules to be linked
in statically to the library as well. Then you can just build a static
version of gnome-vfs, and link to that, and the dependency "issues"
won't exist anymore.

-- dobey